The Goal of the Unit:
Girl child education unit aims at contributing to the Government’s efforts of expanding access to secondary education for Orphans and Vulnerable Children especially girls. In this, WAMA is implementing its quality secondary education program through construction of model schools for girls coming from poor families, support other schools on improving the learning environment through donation of books, laboratory materials, construction of classes and dormitories to name a few.
- Provide scholarships to vulnerable girls and boys for secondary and tertiary education.
- Enhance quality of secondary school education through provision of books, educational materials and equipment.
- Construct girls’ model secondary schools for girls from poor families.
- Construct and provide boarding facilities in school where students have to travel far.
- Improve water and sanitation facilities for the schools.
- Promote and support schools with renewable energy sources (solar, wind)
- Advocate for supportive and safe learning environment.
- Procure and distribute school sports materials.
- Provided Four year Secondary School Scholarships to more than 532 orphaned girls from all regions in Tanzania. Most of the students are now pursuing their A- Level studies.
- Provide higher learning scholarships for 11 students at the level of certificates and degree. 3 students have already completed their studies and are employed.
- Construction and operation of WAMA- Nakayama Secondary School in Nyamisati, Rufiji: The school provides free education to girls’ students who are orphans and come from vulnerable environment from Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar. Since 2010 the school has supported 325 students. Last year in October 26, 2013 the school holds it’s First Graduation and 67 Girl Students completed their Form Four Studies.
- Worked with partners to construct girls’ hostels in Lindi, Makete and Bunda.
- Donated classroom buildings for Nyamisati Ward Secondary School in Rufiji which has enabled over 300 students, boys and girls to study.
- Provided scholarships to 45 Girls OVC to study at Ngongo Secondary School, under WAMA- USAID partnership.
- Donated of mattress and beds to Secondary Schools in Mara and Pwani Region.
- ESTABLISHMENT OF A - LEVEL STUDIES:
From July, 2014 WAMA-Nakayama Secondary school will enroll advanced level students who have opted for science and business combinations. The school will start with the three combinations: PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), EGM (Economics, Geography and Mathematics) and ECA (Economics, Commerce and Accounts).
- EXPANSION OF WAMA- NAKAYAMA SECONDARY SCHOOL:
- Expansion of the School Dining Hall
- Construction of A- Level (Form Five & Six) Dormitories, classrooms.
- Strengthening of the school laboratory include computer Laboratory and extension of administration block.
- CONSTRUCTION OF WAMA MODEL SECONDARY SCHOOL IN LINDI.
The construction of the school is on-going. The first batch of the students will be enrolled in the next academic year (2015) comprising of the Ordinary and Advanced level students.